海鹽 (約為辣椒重量的 10%) 61克
冰糖 (約為辣椒重量的 8%) 48克
烈酒 2 湯匙
- 瓶子放在陰涼處，天熱日子發酵 5 – 7 天。
- 發酵後，辣椒酵醬的氣味應為微酸而不刺鼻。 放在雪櫃裏保存。
新鮮魷魚 1 隻, 約190克
辣椒酵醬 2 湯匙，按口味加減
魚露 3 湯匙，按口味加減
冰水 1 鍋
In fallen leaves it sprouts
From roots, through veins
swim in the tenderness it sends
Reincarnates from piercing sharpness
into sweet crisps to the ears
sourness to the nose
In a jar of lives invisible to the eyes
it was the memory from the soil
faraway in time
Fermented local chillies and squid salad
Local-grown red & green chillies of Hunan breeds 610g
Sea salt (about 10% to the weight of chillies) 61g
Rock sugar (about 8% to the weight of chillies) 48g
Liquor 2 tablespoon
- Steam an air-tight glass jar to sterilize it. Let dry.
- Wash and thoroughly dry the chillies.
- in gloves, remove the chilli stalks. For long and narrow chillies, gently give them a rub in your palms and let most of the seeds fall off; for round chillies, use a pointy knife to remove the seeds. Scrap the seeds for half of the chillies for a milder chilli sauce. Keep more of the seeds for more intense heat.
- Roughly chop up the chillies and garlic cloves with skin removed. Crush the rock sugar into small pieces in a pestle and mortar.
- Mix all the ingredients in a clean and dry bowl, and then transfer the mixture into the glass jar.
- Keep it in a shaded place to ferment for 5-7 summer days.
- After fermentation, the sauce should smell sour but not pungent. Keep it in the fridge.
Fresh squid 1 piece, about 190g
Mung bean vermicelli 50g
Fermented chillies 2 tablespoons, to taste
Fish sauce 3 tablespoons, to taste
Coconut sugar 4g, grated
Ice water 1 pot
- Mix all seasonings, set aside. Wash the squid and remove the soft bone in it. Cut the squid into rings.
- Boil the vermicelli for 2 minutes. Drain and soak in the ice water
- Put the squid into boiling water. Once the water is brought to boiling again, let it boil for 5 more seconds, turn the heat off and remove the squid from the water. Soak them in ice water.
- Drain the vermicelli and squid. Mix in seasonings. Ready to serve.
It’s raining outside, crisp and bleak. Three chubby sparrows took shelter on my balcony and I gave them the baguette bits left on my breakfast plate but they flew away. I stayed in, played Damien Rice on vinyl and made apple crumble. Repeat.